Emissions & RDE: Developing sustainable solutions
In 2017, the new emission legislation enacted by the European Union with the goal of reducing pollutant emissions will come into force. At the same time, discrepancies between the measurements of vehicle emissions in real test runs (RDE) and conventional emission tests are to be a thing of the past. The pollutants emitted by vehicles that are actually driven on the road are therefore increasingly in the spotlight. As a result, development requirements will become more stringent, testing expenditure will increase and there will be a need to make new methods available.
Internal engine modifications, exhaust gas after-treatment, the electrification of powertrains or the use of predictive functions: Are you looking for the ideal solution for reducing emissions for various vehicle concepts and would like to test the effects of the different measures under real-world conditions? With virtual test driving, we support you in overcoming these challenges.
The CarMaker product family enables you to model real-world test driving realistically and reproducibly – from a diverse range of RDE routes with random traffic scenarios to vehicles and driver behavior up to variable environmental conditions. All relevant values can be analyzed at an early phase of development through simulation alone as well as in a virtual test run on the test bench at a later stage of development. As a result, you will be ideally equipped to develop and test future-proof vehicles.
Office simulation for calculating real driving emissions
Are you in an early phase of development and want to make initial statements about your engine concepts and the respective emissions? Typically hardware is not yet available at this point. With our simulation solutions, we can nevertheless help you to calculate the real driving emissions (RDE) of your vehicle using detailed engine models from other development environments.
We can support you in making simulation-based calculations of RDE in the following ways:
- The office simulation can be carried out without a test bench or engine, making it a cost-efficient option in the very early development phases
- Real driving simulation with CarMaker or TruckMaker can be incorporated into existing emission calculation models
- Integrate detailed external models of the engine and exhaust gas after-treatment system using our interfaces – the Functional Mock-up Interface or the direct model interfaces to GT-SUITE and AVL CRUISE
Model-based real test runs on the engine test bench
In the area of emissions, increasing attention is being paid to the issue of devising a suitable method for developing powertrains that reduce RDE as well as suitable measurement methods. There is as yet a wide discrepancy between real driving emissions and the certified values determined on the test bench.
Our simulation solutions and test systems enable us to carry out real test runs on the engine test bench for reproducible RDE measurements. In this process the internal combustion engine is integrated directly into our CarMaker simulation environment on the test bench. The test bench control system enables the engine to be run dynamically under all the loads that the vehicle would be subject to during a real test run.
Integrating test beds with the real driving simulation environments CarMaker, TruckMaker and MotorcycleMaker enables developers to conduct realistic tests of components, entire powertrains and vehicles throughout the whole development process. The test bed integration is available for new test beds as well as for an upgrade of existing test beds.
The test bed integration is achieved via a test bed interface, which we have specially developed for the particular requirements of testing on powertrain and whole vehicle test beds.
By applying the “engine-in-the-loop” approach in combination with virtual test driving, real driving emissions can be measured on the test bench both flexibly and at the same time reproducibly, enabling selective assessments of discrete internal engine modifications, modifications to the exhaust gas after-treatment or modifications to variants of electrification systems for different vehicle variants.
Benefit from the combined advantages of simulation and test bench tests with our model-based testing approach:
- Real driving simulation can be used with a complete model environment on the test bench
- The parameterizable driver model enables different types of drivers to be reproducibly modeled in real-world driving situations
- Vehicle models can be quickly constructed using a data set generator and easily exchanged
- CarMaker, TruckMaker and MotorcycleMaker allow for exact repeatability of all driving situations and provide an online visualization of the driving scenario
- The CarMaker product family allows the vehicle to be electrified virtually by altering the powertrain model
- Real route data from GPS measurements or map data from ADAS RP can be used
- The INCA interface makes online calibration or application with real and virtual control units possible
Model-based real test runs on the powertrain test bench and the whole vehicle test bench
Our simulation solutions and test systems help you carry out real test runs, enabling you to take reproducible, real-world consumption measurements on the powertrain test bench and the whole vehicle test bench. In this process, the entire real powertrain of the vehicle is integrated directly into our CarMaker simulation environment on the test bench and is therefore subjected to the loads that arise during a real test run. To this end we connect individual load machines to the vehicle’s wheel hubs on the powertrain test benches, whereas on roller test benches or flat belt test benches, loads are fed in through the tires of the vehicle, just as they are on the road.
The test bench is connected using our test bench interface, which we have developed for the particular requirements of operating on powertrain test benches and whole vehicle test benches.
Our model-based testing approach combines the benefits of simulation and test bench tests:
- Real-world driving situations can be flexibly modeled using CarMaker maneuver control, allowing you to test the entire powertrain system including the vehicle’s thermal behavior and operating strategy
- A large number of interfaces make it easy to exchange parameterizable vehicle models
- Both real route data from GPS measurements and map data from ADAS RP are available for your virtual test runs
- Our parameterizable driver model enables different types of drivers to be reproducibly modeled in real-world driving situations
- CarMaker, TruckMaker and MotorcycleMaker allow for exact repeatability of all driving situations
- Use standard and special measurement methods on the test bench in reproducible real-world driving situations
- Flexibly carry out automated engine and gearbox or powertrain system applications under transient, real-world operating conditions in all kinds of scenarios
Find more information here.
Looking for everything in one place?
Visit our media library.