Car2X: Jointly unlocking the potential of networking
Are you looking for powerful, modern and efficient options for testing your Car2X applications? Then look no further than virtual test driving to respond to increasing levels of digitization and networking. Front-loading and agile development will take you a big step closer to creating the networked car of the future.
The spectrum of applications is just as wide as for advanced driver assistance systems and ranges from improving traffic flow through providing early information on traffic disruptions to issuing reciprocal warnings of black ice, road construction and extreme weather between road users, or recommending alternative routes based on weather services and traffic cameras.
It will be some time before all these scenarios become a widespread reality, but one thing is already clear: The success of automated and autonomous driving is closely linked to Car2X solutions. We would be delighted to support your development work with our simulation solutions and our longstanding experience in vehicle development, with the help of virtual test driving.
Regardless of whether communication is between two vehicles (Car2Car, C2C), between a vehicle and the traffic infrastructure (Car2Infrastructure, C2I), or between a vehicle and a backend IT system, you can test these functions at an early stage in a virtual prototype – for a vehicle that offers greater safety and comfort. Digitization within vehicles is increasing at the same fast pace as digital communication with the environment – so why not benefit from the early insights afforded by virtual test driving? In the virtual world, you can perform tests that would be far too complex in real life: You can assess myriad levels of vehicle networking, from differently graded, mixed traffic scenarios to fully cooperative driving environments.
The key question here is how driving functions can ensure that the flow of traffic is smooth and incident-free. After all, sharp braking, running red lights, traffic jams, etc. frequently result in disruptions to traffic flow. However, these could often be avoided if the driver and vehicle had all the information they needed in good time. The use of driver assistance functions therefore holds a great deal of potential for optimizing traffic flow – and virtual test driving allows you to test how these functions react to other vehicles and the environment early on in development.
Virtually test how your proposed vehicle will communicate with traffic lights so as to approach intersections in accordance with traffic signal phases. Or perform an early review of different display concepts for conveying information from networked services and functions to ensure that drivers are always in the loop. There are countless applications that can contribute to smooth traffic flow – shape tomorrow’s traffic in today’s virtual world.
Networked driving has great potential, particularly where accident-free driving is concerned. This is because if a vehicle knows where other road users are and what the surrounding situation is like (red lights, aquaplaning, road construction, etc.), and if that vehicle can also communicate with other users and environmental features, its own driving mode can be adapted accordingly. Conveying information to the driver is extremely important here – you can review this in virtual test drives and optimize the human machine interface to achieve the best displays.
You could even go one step further and make driving functions capable of dealing with critical situations independently by performing appropriate maneuvers. Take all conceivable scenarios into account during development and carry out virtual tests to assess how cooperative vehicles perform different maneuvers (e.g. passing, emergency braking with warnings for approaching traffic), as well as how communication with other road users is conducted. If individual vehicles are able to communicate with one another, reaction times will be reduced and accidents can be avoided – comprehensive Car2X functionalities therefore take you a big step closer toward Vision Zero.
Real-world consumption and the conservation of resources are aspects that will command ever more attention in the future. We can help you to investigate key issues early on the virtual vehicle: search for parking spaces more efficiently in cities thanks to real-time information, reduce exhaust emissions by avoiding unnecessary accelerating and braking, use information from traffic management systems to select the best routes, etc. Increased networking between vehicles and their surroundings can also help to protect the environment.
Develop your functions in the virtual world – and you will quickly see the impact of individual driving maneuvers or measures on real-world consumption and traffic flow. Reproducibility knows no bounds in virtual testing: You can repeatedly test all scenarios at any time, or make slight changes for the most advanced development of functions. With virtual test driving, you have the opportunity to test your networked vehicle in a complete model environment, including drivers, infrastructure and surroundings, which allows you to identify potential for optimization thanks to driving modes that are adapted to the widest variety of traffic scenarios.
We are imagining the future today – and you can test it! Give your clients maximum comfort by offering mature, networked solutions in your vehicles. These could be cloud access from the car, a connection with drivers’ homes that turns the heating on half an hour before they return, or even interfaces to control additional smart home functions directly from the car.
Virtual test driving can assist you here, for instance by enabling you to try out different operating concepts that are suitable for the road in the driving simulator, or by allowing you to ensure the safety of your functions through high levels of system maturity.
Our virtual test driving support for Car2X applications:
- Configure traffic scenarios directly in CarMaker and use IPGTraffic or the various interfaces offered by our open integration and test platform to draw on the expertise of our partners or to integrate external tools.
- Easily import complex road networks from map data (e.g. ADAS RP), including additional infrastructure information (e.g. traffic lights), into the CarMaker product family, or configure any number of complex scenarios based on real-world situations.
- In the virtual world, develop the precise coordination of maneuvers between vehicles, for example driving sequences at intersections, with the help of our maneuver, event and scenario-based approach and detailed trajectory planning.
- Feed information from various sources (e.g. camera sensors, radio signals, etc.) into the simulation via different interfaces (e.g. ADTF interface), and fuse, prioritize, and validate the plausibility of data.
- Test algorithms from two or more fully automated, networked vehicles and optimize vehicle behavior with customized simulation solutions.
- Generate notifications of networked functions (e.g. route changes from real-time information, black ice warnings, etc.) in the head-up display and test them at an early stage with virtual reality applications.
- Test swarm intelligence using our detailed model environment, and coordinate the maneuvers of individual road users depending on different parameters (traffic light phases, road construction, etc.).
- Incorporate environmental information, e.g. via a weather server connection, into vehicle decisions, assess and test communication between vehicles and external sources of information in the simulation environment and test the extent to which black ice warnings, heavy rain, etc. can be taken into account for determining the navigation route in real time.
So many Car2X applications, so many questions: How do vehicles communicate with one another and with their surroundings? Can communication be guaranteed at all times, and how does the vehicle react if communication fails? How does the vehicle evaluate the data it receives and which maneuvers are performed? The precision and reliability of data and the use of such data to deduce the correct maneuver are key elements in Car2X function development. That is why it is best to test every conceivable scenario in advance in the virtual world, to ensure your customers stay safe on the roads.
Looking for everything in one place?
Visit our media library.